Wednesday, March 19, 2008

East Meets West

It is our last day in China. It is hard to believe. It seems we have been here a lifetime, and then again, not much time at all. It is a good day for farewell, the kind that leaves a feeling of bittersweet, of leaving a place just a little too soon, and hoping someday to return. The sun is shining bright, it is about 80 degrees, Alex and Hazel have spent the day together, laughing and playing, at the playground, in the pool. They have had such fun and it is all so beautiful here, so while our thoughts our turned toward home, we grasp at every last second we have in China.

In about a half an hour, we will meet our group for the famous "Red Couch Photo." This picture is taken of every group of adopted children who stay at the White Swan on their journey to America. Today is the day when the six beautiful children of our group will sit in Chinese costume and have their photo taken. I expect some tears will be shed - by babies, by parents, by grandparents and family - by all. Then we are off to the consulate for the swearing in ceremony.

This will probably be my last post from China, and I am too emotional to write more now as this trip I have dreamed of for so long come to its end. We are to have our luggage in the hall tomorrow at 6 a.m., and catch the bus to the airport at 6:30 a.m., so tonight will be busy with packing and preparing.

See you back on the other side of the world!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SAFE TRAVELS HOME. I have loved following your blog each day and seeing your photos, and can't wait to meet you and the beautiful Miss Cate at the Ladybug Picnic. Getting ready to watch Miss Adyson for over 2 weeks and I am very excited - excited to watch her, excited for Stacy & Steven to finally leave - and just too excited about meeting Miss Sabria - AT LAST!!! See you in the "west"!
Denise

Unknown said...

J-S-A-C-
Have a safe & quick trip home. Kara and I can't wait to see you & to meet Cate - she sounds like so much fun. I really am looking forward to seeing you - but I have to admit I'm going to miss your travel posts. It's become my morning ritual...a cup of coffee and reading about what you all did while we were sleeping. Kara loves to have me read her the post when she gets home from school. Thank you for sharing your wonderful journey with us.

Amy & Kara

M said...

Have a safe journey back! Ask for a bulkhead! Thank you for sharing your lovely blog while you were in China!

Stacy said...

Safe journey...I can't wait to see how Cate settles in to her new home! I loved following your adventures in China!
Maybe one day this big beautiful group will plan a homeland trip...but, I'm getting ahead of myself!
XOXO