Thursday, March 13, 2008

Congratulations!




Congratulations to the next nine families who just got their TA's. You will soon be here, in this wonderful place on the most amazing journey. I know it sounds crazy, but I get tears in my eyes when I realize that half our trip is over and that soon we will leave this place behind, except for in our hearts, and start our lives all over again at home. It will be a bittersweet farewell - saying goodbye to the place where we first met our daughter - even leaving this small hotel, hot hotel room will create an instant nostalgia, just the way driving past the hospital where Alex was born can sometimes bring a swell to my eyes. Enjoy every crazy minute of your packing and preparing. After months and years of anticipation, it will go by so quickly!

The men are out on a mission to find diapers and drawing paper leaving "the ladies" as we are now called by Alex, alone in the room. Cate is resting quietly in her crib while I wait for Anna to bring by a few more documents. We have Cate's passport. She is ours and ready to travel. We leave tomorrow for Guangzhou where we take care of the American side of business.

Cate is very much the lady today, dressed in a flowery pink dress that came in the mail just before we left for China. She is just happy. A happy, funny, easy-going kid. We are off to a happy start today and there have been moments of golden laughter... she does something funny and all four of us are laughing together at and with our newest family member. She just loves to laugh and giggle, and so far, has not complained about anything. Although Steve cannot pick her up, she will play with him and even laugh at him, and we think she is trying hard to say "Alex." And again, as silly as it may sound, I feel a bit of sadness that we are teaching her new words, new sounds, that she will learn a new language, and sadly, leave most of what she has already known behind.

Well, I will try to post more later. It is morning still and our day of adventure has not yet begun. It is our last full day in Nanjing and I just want to absorb as much of it as I can. I need to be the eyes and ears for my daughter, who will not remember this place until we can bring her back someday.

3 comments:

M said...

You're doing a great job getting some memories down for her just through this blog. Enjoy your last day in Nanjing! Shamian Island is VERY different!

Karl said...

What an adventure you are having.
I imagine it must also be difficult at times dealing with so many strange things in such a very short time. I seems, however, that you two are handling this different world quite well. We wish you a safe trip home. Looking forward to getting a more personal report when you get back.
Love Ingrid and Karl

Stacy said...

Thank you for the Congratulations...I look forwrd to following in your footsteps. Really happy Cate is laughing and exposing her true self bit by bit.
XOXO