Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Family of Her Own, A Family of Our Own

As I type, it is 9 a.m., Thursday, April 10 in China. Exactly one month ago, we waited in our hotel lobby, ready to board the bus that took us to the civil affairs office in Nanjing where we met our daughter for the first time.

Only one month. No time at all, and yet, a lifetime. As a friend observed, so magnificent, and so mundane. As always, life is in the details. A few weeks ago, we met our daughter on the other side of the world. Lanterns swung from trees and doorways. Unfamiliar sounds floated like music on the air. A shy girl hid her head on my shoulder and stole looks at us with dark eyes that wanted to trust, but weren't sure they were able. Back on this side, I struggle to keep the goldfish crackers swept from the floor before the mountain of folded laundry crashes from the couch. Somewhere in the distance, the raspy sound of a cat with a hairball promises a mess waiting to be found. And Cate darts in and out, eyes sparkling, begging to be chased, and caught and tickled and kissed.

So magnificent and so mundane is this life we all lead.

In one month, a little girl has blossomed. She is funny. She has a sense of humor. She has a temper. She is gaining confidence and making friends. She loves food. She's learning to dance. She likes to be tucked in under blankets and nestled beside her bunny before she throws them all out of her crib every night. She plays with her socks. She is particular about her shoes. She loves me, and her baba, and her brother. She has learned to kiss, big puckery kisses, with dramatic "MMMMMMA's." She loves the cats. She want to be outside. She loves being pulled in the wagon and going down the slide, but wants nothing to do with the swing. She will walk on grass, but refuses to move on crunchy leaves. She insists on talking on the phone. She leads us to the bathroom when she wants to take a bath or brush her teeth. She likes to sweep the floor. She hates it when her hands are messy.

I have learned these things in a month... these things, the things I have wanted to know. Every day, every hour, I learn more.

In a month, I have witnessed Alex become the big brother he wanted to be, the one who is teaching his sister, the one she copies, the one who feeds her new foods, the one who hugs her when he goes to school and holds her hand when they walk together through the yard. There is, of course, a vying for attention. Impatience when she has a tantrum. A call for justice when she hits. But there is also a calm and gentle voice drifting up the stairs in the morning, "It's okay Cate. Mama will be right down. You're okay. I am here with you."

In a month, Steve has been smitten, has jumped through hoops, for his new daughter. He is persistent. He makes her laugh. He lifts her high so she can touch the ceiling and barters for kisses with treats. She plays hard to get, but it is clear to see, he has her heart. And she has his. And I fall in love again with this man.

Certain moments in our lives define us. This is one of mine.

The journey to parenthood has not been the easiest for me. I carried both of these children in my heart long before I carried them in my arms. And yet, they are here. I would not undo a single tear, a single anxious night. They are here. They are what I waited for all along. Laughter and tantrums and smashed Goldfish crackers. They are what I waited for all along.


This is my last post on this blog. Every good story should find its ending and Cate is now home. I hope to start another tale and will post the address here when I do. There probably won't be moonbeams or dragons, but I am sure there will be pirates and golden crystals from the sun. I thank all of you, so many people I know, and many people I don't, who have kept us in their hearts throughout this journey. In my life, I have never felt such an outpouring of joy. I am not overstating this in a burst of emotion. This is a fact. The love, the welcome, the delight that has flowed into our lives since we knew Cate was coming into our lives, is astonishing. This little girl has magic in her. I feel it all around me. I see it in people's smiles. I hear it in their conversation. We will never know the circumstances that have brought this child to us, but I do know, that this is where she is meant to be, that her coming here has been a coming of joy. There is tangible joy all around her. I feel it all around me. I have all of you to thank for this pure delight and for filling her life with love. You have created for her a family, a community.

This morning was a typical morning. Alex had school. He didn't want to put his shoes on, wanted to fasten his own car seat (an exercise in patience when you are running a little late), needed a snack or he wouldn't have an once of energy for learning or playing. I forgot that Cate cries and fusses unless she buckles a part of her own car seat. I unbuckled her. Took a breath while she did it herself. We had left the windows down. My seat was cold and a little damp. But the sun was shining, the crocuses up.

As we drove toward town, Cate sang. Alex pretended to sleep. He told her to stop. Still she sang. He told her to stop. Still she sang. It had potential to become unpleasant. Then it was quiet. They were both pretending to sleep. I heard a little giggle from Cate. One eye opened, she was trying to see what Alex was up to, so she could do it next. Alex quickly closed his eyes. Then they both flew open again.

"Mom, I can't even believe that Cate is really here. Can you? I just can't believe she is really true."

I feel a catch in my breath, caught off guard, by the depth of this small boy, by the history of hope and emotion in his question. By the reminder that he too had waited and waited.

Next to him, his sister giggles, trying to catch his eye. He closes his eyes and opens them again.

"And Mom, I am just too, too hungry to go to school."

So magnificent and so mundane is this life we lead.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Janine,
You are the MOST incredulous writer!!! I feel sad that this blog is ending, although I will wait with baited breath for the new one. I have cried and laughed....had chills at times and felt your sheer excitement through each and every story. You are SO gifted and I am absolutely THRILLED for you, Steve, Alex and Cate....that you can be experiencing such wonderful emotions and love! You are surely blessed and I am proud to have been a part of your journey!!

Love,
Aunt Mar

Norma Jean said...

Jeannine, I have nothng new to say that hasn't already been said by everyone else who has been anxiously awaiting your latest post to your WONDERFUL blog! Thank you, again, for letting all of us share in a small way, the feelings & expriences that have been a part of your life this past month & the many months before! I will look forward to your new blog & of course, will try to keep up through "Nonnie & Otsie" with anything new going on...it sounds like everything is starting to "gel"...What a lucky little girl Cate is to have you for a Big Brother, Alex! I think you are being Mommy's right-hand man, thinking of things that maybe she hasn't thought of to help Cate be more comfortable...God Bless You All!!!
Love,
Norma Jean

Anonymous said...

It seems like "forever ago" that we joked about the name Buccaneers and Alex, the little pirate, leading your group to China.
I have truly loved following your journey. It sounds like your family is so happy and the kids are so beautiful. My best to you all -
XOXO
Denise

M said...

Oh god, I'm all choked up. Thank you for sharing this blog with us all. It was really amazing to see it unfold through your eyes - especially after we had just gone through it ourselves. We are so graced by these little girls - I look at my kids and I think I'm the luckiest person on earth. And I know you feel the same way.

I hope we see you guys soon, and get these beautiful babies together.

xox M

Stacy said...

Jeannine,
Jetlag, kisses and cuddles...We are home. And if I recall correctly, you were the first to leave a comment on my blog...millions of years ago, before we all had our girls to keep us too busy to update blogs, and properly keep in touch. But, I do beg of you...try to keep in touch as we have all become a "family" through this remarkable journey...to Cate, to Sabria, to Bell, to Flora, to Hope, to Ji Jue, to Willow...
I look forward to following your story - Your family of four story. Until we can meet and watch tearfully, while all of our children play together - wholly unaware of their impact on all our lives.
Thank you...for being there and allowing all of us to be there to watch, listen, cry.

susiezoo said...

Dear Jeannine,

Greetings from Honolulu! My Mother, Gudrun, and your Mother-in-law are good friends, so I have had the joy of reading your blog from the beginning. I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts, feelings, and this incredible journey. Your blog site quickly became an addiction, not just for me, but also for my husband and son. Each night after work I would declare that I needed to check on Cate! So, I am sad that the blogs have ended, but so very happy that the 4 of you are together. We wish you all the happiness in the world! Aloha, Susie, Shawn and Max